Thursday, February 19, 2009

Making up a song about Coraline... She's a peach, she's a doll, she's a pal of mine...


So I have been really trying to wrap my little mind around the insane experience of watching Coraline... not once... oh no, it cannot be seen only once... but twice. Once in a blue moon (or in a blue haired child) you come across something that is as amazing as it is strange but it works.... somehow.

I am a huge.... no wait.... HUGE... fan of Nightmare Before Christmas and I knew from the first blurb of this movie I would love it. Tim Burton's character creation and producing must have rubbed off on the director because this movie reeked of his genius. I have read the book (yes, the book nerd that I am...) and it was great, but short. The writers took the liberty of filling in the blanks visually with what only the mind can imagine. And I thought I had a crazy imagination! It really had the feel of that crazy Alice in Wonderland live action movie that came out back in the day... where she sees herself in the other side of the mirror and its her... but in a different world. Man that movie creeped me out as a kid! Kinda like Return to OZ did. Was that not the craziest scary witch lady EVER!? But I diverge. Either way, this movie has that same fundamental appeal.... your own life but different, what everyone wishes they had.

The animation in the movie is nothing less than brilliant and if this doesn't win some sort of award then there is something seriously wrong. So much fluid movement, it's easy to lose yourself to the chaos in the film. It reads like a child's dream turned nightmare. There were some really scary (and inappropriate... put some clothes on grandma!) parts! I almost felt like... hypnotized... or in a trance at moments. It could be the 2 yard high pear ciders I had at the Yard House before seeing the movie... but really, I mean, there were mice... jumping on balls... to the beat of drums... in a circus tent. Who makes a movie like that?

Oh... and just so we are clear... this song will be stuck in your head for days...



I give this movie my full hearted approval and hope that everyone will give it a chance. If you can catch it in 3D do it! Because nothing says scary crazy awesome like an 'other mother' spider psycho lady coming at you in 3D! Do it, do it, do it!

"Remember, wherever you are and whatever you're doing, it's only the beginning." - D

No comments:

Post a Comment